2nd Year Final Major ProjectPosted: April 2, 2016
Using the same brief as the facebook project; taking an object and adding the internet to make it function better.
i’ve chosen to redesign a prescription pill pot, so that people suffering from arthritis will be able to open it easily without having to force their hands and fingers into positions that they are unable to do any more from the slewing in there joints. Also i will be adding an internet feature, to allow the pill pot to notify the pharmacy of when a prescription will need to be refilled ( based on the weight left in the pill pot), and possible alarm system to allow the pill pot to remind the person to take there medication, either with a vibrating modification or being able to program it to call the house phone as most of the elderly population will not use a mobile phone.
RESEARCH ON ARTHRITIS
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Osteoarthritis (most common according to arthritis foundation)
- Arthritis can effect any joint in the body
- Osteoarthritis typically affects people older than 40 (American college of rheumatology)
- Affects both men and women equally
- 3 joints it affects; 1st carpometacarpal joint (joint of the thumb), the distal interphalangeal joint (synovial hinge joint; tip of the finger), proximal interphalangeal joint (middle of the finger synovial hinge joint)
- Arthritis describes a condition in which this protective covering and fluid-filled sac degenerate, allowing bones to rub together.
- The symptoms of osteoarthritis are pain, stiffness and swelling at the joints of the fingers or base of the thumb. A bump may even appear at the affected site.
- A person suffering from arthritis of the hands may have trouble pinching or gripping items. Other activities, such as knitting, turning a key or typing, may be impaired.
- There is no cure for arthritis, but there are treatments to reduce the symptoms and improve mobility
- Osteoarthritis; When this happens, the bones rub directly against other bones. This causes structural changes that can be seen on X-rays. Bone deposits orbone spurs known as osteophytes may develop on the edges of the joints.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, 27 million American adults have osteoarthritis.
DEVELOPMENT OF MODELS
DEVELOPMENT SKETCHES OF CONCEPT
MAKING OF FINAL MODEL