DISSERTATION; PRESENTATIONPosted: February 2, 2017
With my choice of dissertation paper; the conference paper i was required to give a 10 minute presentation. during this presentation i presented the main ideas that i write about in my dissertation.
Stated by Darwin in 1859; what can be more curious than that of the hand of a man, formed for grasping, that of a mole for digging, the leg of the horse, the paddle of the porpoise, and the wing of the bat.
The design process is a confusing thing even if you understand it and use it everyday, there are 6 main sections; discovery, define, ideate, prototype, test, and implement. However for the purpose of this paper i change test and implement into the future of the design.
The discovery phase provided main research for the identified problem
- hand trauma; nearly accounted for 3.7 million visits to A&E in the USA during 2008 (Mcevenue, 2016)
- medical students not having efficient knowledge of anatomy can lead to problems; there has been a significant drop in knowledge of hand anatomy from 1992-2008 (dickson 2008)
- hand deterioration begins after the age of 50; and after 60 there is a rapid decline in grip strength of 20-25% (carmeli 2003)
- Designing a product there are important things to think about; thinking of peoples aspiration, uniqueness, values and lifestyle need to be considered otherwise many products for the disabled or elderly may be rejected (soarces)
- for a product involving grip and grasp strength; correct finger movement is very important that object should first touch the proximal phalanx, middle, than finally distal phalanx (massa 2002)
Define; there were 2 main products that were analysised; arthritis gloves and adaptive grip cutlery.Going forward with the design concept there are 2 main options for a product;
- attachment or glove for the hand
- an adaptive grip for slender objects most likely cutlery
there were 2 main design concepts that were discovered during this paper; an aesthetic concept and a technological concept. The aesthetic concept; is a combination between a shape that was chosen from an anonymous survey, a modern look and colour concept, with a creative and vintage detailing patterns for the piece. the technological concept was based around a current product of a silicone hairbrush handle, which make the hairbrush easier to hold and grasp, which is useful for the product that i am working on.